RE: [nv-l] NetView Events (AIX)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] NetView Events (AIX)
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:20:25 -0400
Herman -

Events in UNIX are not kept in a databases as they are in NT because UNIX
does not come with a default relational database.
So what you see on the screen is transitory.  Current events are those you
see when you start the GUI.  It is what comes up in the control desk by
default.  You can also start them outside the control desk from the
command line using the command, nvevents.  And finally you can start them
from the map.  You can drag Events (or Event History for that matter) from
the tool bar into the Control Desk.  Or you pull down "Monitor" on the
main panel, and select "Events" and then either "Current Events" or "Event
History".  You can even right click and object and start current events
that way.  But it is vitally important that you know which event app you
are running because they behave differently.

How can you tell which is which?  One the top menu line of "Current
Events" the last item says "Create", and if you pull that down you can
choose to open either a Static or a Dynamic Workspace.  One "Events
History" the last item on the top menu is "Query".  There is also a
"Create" button, but if you pull it down, your only option is a static
window.  If you have a current events window open, pull down the Create
button and select a dynamic workspace.  When that dialog pops up, just
pull down the Rules list at the top right and select "forwardall.rs". Then
click "OK" at the bottom.  You should get a new events window with the
most current events in it.  Is the last event different from what you see
in the previous window?  Then your old window somehow became stale.

Did you stop the daemons and restart them while the window, the GUI, was
up?  Basically it is not wise to leave the GUI up if you are going recycle
the daemons.  Since current events are not kept in a database, the event
window must re-establish contact with the nvserverd daemon to keep
current.  Normally a pop-up is issued when the window looses contact, and
if you cancel it, then no attempt to reconnect is made, and the events in
your window may become stale. If this is what may have happened  in your
case, then close that stale event window and re-open it again using one of
the ways I described, and see if you see current events again.

Note that Event History can also be started in the control desk or from
the map and it is a completely different application altogether.  Recent
events are passed from trapd to the ems-log-daemon ovelmd who logs them in
a file called ovevent.log.  This file has a max size of 2048MB and gives
you a chance to see recent events (not more than a few hours old) that may
have occurred before you logged in and opened your current events window.
Event History looks very similar to current events, but when you bring it
up you must do a Query to get the screen to populate or refresh.  This is
so you an set filters first to control the display.  Since this display is
not refreshed unless you refresh it, that is why I asked you if you could
be running that rather than current events.

Since you come from NT, you may not consider yourself a beginner, but
parts of the UNIX product are different enough from the NT one that you
would do well to spend some time with the UNIX on-line books.  I'd start
with the "User's Guide for Beginners" to see if there are major
differences you aren't aware of, and then go on to the "NetView
Administrator's Guide".  There is a huge section in there on displaying
and customizing events. I think you'll find it well-worth your time.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Herman.E.Caballero@Lowes.Com
05/17/2002 09:44 AM