Re: [nv-l] trap variables to TEC slot mapping

To: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trap variables to TEC slot mapping
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 17 May 2002 12:29:25 -0500
Cc: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Ah.  See Jame's response.  See also the man pages for both addtrap and
trapd.conf command.  Know that you can also specify what you're doing
in xnmtrap   via the addtrap command.  This is useful for having a
script that documents what you've done or restoring trap defs if you
mess them up at any point.

The syntax of variables in the msg field is different than the
variable reference you'd use in shell scripts, which can be quite
confusing at first.  For instance the first varbind of a trap is
referenced as $1 in one but $NV_ATTR1 in the other.  Knowing which
context you're in is important to keeping things straight.

Xnmtrap and addtrap both feed into setting up the trapd.conf file,
IIRC.   If you aren't able to massage the message the way you like,
you may do what we do and shell out to scripts that call postemsg
after massaging the variables the way we want.

You may find that for the purposes of dupe detection at tec that you
want to split things out into separate slots and not group too much in
the msg field.  Then TEC can do its dupe detection on several atomic
slots rather than dealing with the variability that sometimes creeps
into msg formats.

Best of luck,
Todd