RE: [nv-l] trap variables to TEC slot mapping

To: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>, <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] trap variables to TEC slot mapping
From: "Ray Westphal" <westphal@accessus.net>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 20:18:45 -0500
Thanks for the example.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car

-----Original Message-----
From: Leslie Clark [mailto:lclark@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 12:18 PM
To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

The printf business is tricky, but it works.  For example, the Node Up and
Node Down events have $3 which just says 'Node Up' or 'Node Down'.
Further, the $3 variable is mapped to the TEC slot 'msg'.  I wanted to add
the nodename to the msg variable. So, in xnmtrap, in the little side dialog
for 'TEC Slot mapping' I changed the one for 'msg' from '$V3' to

   PRINTF( "%s : %s", $V2, $V3 )

This works great, and the tec now gets, in the msg variable,
    Nodename: Node Up

In trapd.conf, it ends up looking like:

EVENT_CLASS OV_Node_Down
BEGIN_SLOT_MAPPING
 msg PRINTF( "%s : %s", $V2, $V3 )
 OV_status 1
END_SLOT_MAPPING

Detroit

                      netview@toddh.net
                      (Todd H.)                To:       "Westphal, Raymond"
<RWestphal@erac.com>
                                               cc:       "NV List (E-mail)"
<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                      05/17/2002 11:53         Subject:  Re: [nv-l] trap
variables to TEC slot mapping
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      nv-l

"Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com> writes:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> NV 7.1.1 on AIX 4.3.3
>
> We are experimenting with forwarding some application events traps from
> NetView to TEC. We are having some difficulty because of duplicate event
> suppression in TEC. The events will not appear in TEC unless we make the
> previous event unique. Different application log events are sent with the
> same trap to NetView.
>
> Is it possible to combine trap variables in one TEC slot? For example,
> something like the "$V1 and $V4" to TEC slot "msg"? We tried a number of
> things like "$V1,$V4" or "$V*", etc. but we had no success.

Can you post what file/ place you're configuring these?   More details
are needed to focus and answer.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/