[nv-l] netmon failure

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] netmon failure
From: "Bonnie Jundt" <bonnie_jundt@mail.und.nodak.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 20:13:00 -0500
I am unable to start netmon.  I have no reason to believe the
ovsnmp.conf file would have changed.  If the files are corrupted, as
this error indicates, what are the consequences of the Rebuild MIB
binary file with installation MIB defaults?

I want to know what to expect, however NetView is nonfunctional right
now so I don't have a lot to lose.

Thanks to anyone who can steer me in a least destructive path.

ovstart
 object manager name: netmon
 behavior:            OVs_WELL_BEHAVED
 state:               FAILED
 PID:                 31418
 last message:        Can't talk to snmpd; see /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace
for info
 exit status:         -

Fri May 17 17:25:27 CDT 2002
Cannot communicate with SNMP Agent via loopback address (127.0.0.1); it
is
either not running or has been configured with a community name
different
from that configured into TME 10 NetView for this system. If a
community name has
been configured into the SNMP Agent, that community name must be
configured
via xnmsnmpconf and /usr/OV/conf/ovsnmp.conf for address 127.0.0.1 as
well
as for the hostname or IP address of this system.
Or, the /usr/OV/conf/snmpmib and /usr/OV/conf/snmpmib.bin files are
corrupted
and need to be rebuilt using the
Maintain->Rebuild MIB binary file with installation MIB defaults
option in smit