[nv-l] Ruleset advice

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Ruleset advice
From: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:33:59 -0400
There have been several ITSO redbooks which have dealt with rulesets,
going all the way back to Version 4 when they were introduced.
Examples of Using NetView for AIX Version 4   SG24-4515-00
Integrated Management Solutions Using NetView Version 5.1  SG24-5285-00
are both old but contain the most comprehensive discussions.  Note that
you do not have to develop the custom code for determining the contents of
collections (smartsets) discussed in the first one.  The nvUtil command
provided in NetView 5.1 will do that job these days. While you are at it,
you might want to look at Tivoli NetView 6.01 and Friends ( SG24-6019-00) for
its recommendations on best practices implementing
NetView and related products.  You can get copies of ITSO redbooks at
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

If you are having trouble with getting your rulesets to work, the best
thing to do is to trace them.
        nvcdebug -d all
will start comprehensive tracing in the nvcorrd.alog and blog (the logs
switch every 10,000 messages).  To see what happens with your ruleset,
look for the "Received a trap" eyecatcher and the "Finished with the trap"
 eyecatcher.  Everything that happens in-between is what nvcorrd is doing
as a result of that trap.
There is no doc on how to read this trace but it is very straight-forward.
 Also, if you are using an action, be sure to look at nvaction.alog/blog
to see what happens when actionsvr gets the action.

Coding effective rulesets is not nearly as hard as you think.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Ingleson Peter <peter.ingleson@ncmgroup.com>
06/28/2002 08:14 AM