[nv-l] Netmon initialization - how to speed it up?

To: "Nv-L (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Netmon initialization - how to speed it up?
From: "Binder, Karin" <karin.binder@nwa.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:31:09 -0500
Hello all,

Netmon initialization takes a long time on our production system (i.e. 1 hour
42 minutes).  I'd like to shorten this if possible.  I suspect there is some
sort of problem contributing to the delay, but cannot pinpoint it, and was
hoping you would have some suggestions to try.

Pertinents:  Netview 6.03, AIX 4.3.3 on SP2 node with 1G memory.

The process is exponentially faster on our test system.  The production and
test system are like in setup, software, configuration and parameters used in
daemon startup (i.e. number pingers, tracing on/off, DNS server, etc.).  The
differences are in number of devices discovered and hardware platforms.
Differences noted:

Stat                                    Test            Production
Hardware                                F40             SP2
Objects in DB                           16,371          49,570          Ratio
1:3
Duration of netmon fixups               7 minutes       202 minutes     Ratio
1:29  **

So far I have tried:

1) Turning off tracing
2) Increasing the number of pingers to 32 (-q and -Q)
3) RES_RETRY and RES_TIMEOUT are both set to 1, and DNS works well
4) The box has been rebooted (for other reasons)

It still takes 1 hour 42 minutes +/- 1 minutes every time.  I have been working
with L2 on this and we've run out of things to try.  Any ideas on what could
contribute to the delay?  Any other parameters to tweak?  Any debugging options?

All suggestions appreciated,
Karin Binder