[nv-l] Automated discovery

To: NV-L@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Automated discovery
From: lesdickert@att.net
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:32:38 +0000
Running NetView 7.1.0 on AIX 4.3.3.

I just made a great discovery (sorry) that I
wanted to share.  The router guys asked that I
not have netmon discovery on during the day due
to router CPU impact.  Being a nice guy I obliged,
and routinely turned discovery on at the end of
the day and back off first thing in the morning.
Naturally this was prone to error and I wanted to
automate it, but for the longest time could not
find out how to do that.

Then I found (doscovered) the file:

 /usr/OV/databases/openview/topo/polling

which looks like:

Global_Polling_Switch 1
Status_Polling_Switch 0
Status_Polling_Interval 5 m
Node_Deletion_Interval 7 d
New_Node_Switch 0
New_Node_Auto_Switch 1
New_Node_Interval 15 m
Config_Checking_Switch 0
Config_Polling_Interval 1 d
Threshold_Polling_Switch 1
System_Load_Interval 15 m
Disk_Space_Interval 1 h
Interface_Link_Interval 5 m

Four of the lines control netmon polling and discovery
and match up with the GUI settings as follows:

polling file line             GUI
-----------------             ---
Global_Polling_Switch 1       Enable Polling
                              and Discovery
                              Settings

Status_Polling_Switch 0       Poll for Status

New_Node_Switch 0             Discover New Nodes

Config_Checking_Switch 0      Poll for Configuration
                              Changes

The numbers (0 and 1) at the end of the lines
determine off and on.  You can verify this by
using the GUI to click things on and off and see
that it is reflected immediately in the 'polling'
file.  You can also manually change the 'polling'
file and see those changes reflected in the GUI.

So, I created two copies of the 'polling' file,
one with all of the values set to 0 (polling.off)
and one with the values set to 1 (polling.on).
I have a cron job that runs at 6 PM to turn
discovery on:

   ovstop netmon
   cp polling.on polling
   ovstart netmon

and another cron job that runs at 6 AM to turn
discovery off:

   ovstop netmon
   cp polling.off polling
   ovstart netmon

Works like a dream, now everybody is happy!

Les Dickert
Trigon Blue Cross/Blue Shield