Re: [nv-l] Problem adding devices

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Problem adding devices
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:14:50 -0400
I wonder if you really need to do what you are trying to do.
Netview has very strict rules about what sorts of things can
be added, and where, and it is usually best to let the
discovery process create the appropriate submaps
and put things in them. The capability is there to create
your own submaps and put things in them, but like many
of those functions, they were designed for application
developers who plan to provide the management applications
to manage the things they add.  If you expect Netview's ipmap
application to manage these things for you, then you should
probably focus on getting Netview to discover them for you.
You don't have free reign when it comes to submap
heirachy in the topologies that come with the product.

Ignore me if you know what you are doing. If you are not
sure, check the Administration Guide, Chapter 3.
See: AdminGuide Chap 3, Customizing Symbol Placement, and Partitioning
Submaps
See: AdminGuide Chap 3, Customizing a Graphical Map
See: AdminGuide Chap 3, Understanding Submap Presentation, Planes
See: AdminGuide Chap 3, ipmap Application

Detroit

                      "Klunder, Chris

                      W."                      To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      <cklunder@mcleodu        cc:

                      sa.com>                  Subject:  [nv-l] Problem adding
devices

                      06/20/2002 05:03

                      PM

AIX 4.3.3, Netview 6.01

Hello,

We are having some problems getting devices entered into submaps. We cannot
add
new devices into a submap. We can add a submap to IP Internet and to a
submap
below that, but cannot proceed further.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential
information and is intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, copying
or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender via e-mail.