Re: [nv-l] trapd vs nvevents

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapd vs nvevents
From: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:09:04 -0400
I am not certain that I can answer all of your questions, but I will try.
But whether COTS works the way you want, is not something I can guarantee.
 I have never heard of it before.

trapd is the only app that writes to trapd.log.  As you know, he formats
the trap according to what is in trapd.conf.  The trap formatting
routines, which are in libems.a, search for the best match on the incoming
OID.  In other words, if the OID is  .1.3.6.1.4.1.5.180 and trapd has only
.1.3.6.1.4.1.5, he will make the best guess he can, and format the trap if the
specific
id matches what is available under that OID.  He uses "No FMT Found" only
when the specific id isn't available, or the closest match he can make on
the incoming OID is just .1.3.6.1.4.1.   nvevents uses the same formatting
routines in the same shared library, so
his formatting always matches.   Other processes in NetView , such as
nvserverd and nvcorrd, also read trapd.conf, using the same facilities.

What's your other NMS?   I cannot answer for them but NetView does not
accept a format of  .1.3.6.1.4.1.5.*, because in effect, it is already implied.
 Some NetView traps come in as
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3 and others as .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1 and trapd and nvevents
recognize both of these as NetView traps.  There is
no need in NetView to define down to the last element, unless you want to
ditinguish those traps from others (the way Cisco does, for example).  I
cannot answer for COTS.  But NetView has worked this same way since I have
been involved, which goes all the way back to Version 3 at least.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
07/10/2002 09:49 AM