Re: [nv-l] Disappearing Nodes

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Disappearing Nodes
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:29:35 -0400
These are intentional duplicate IP addresses. By default,
duplicates are not allowed, but Netview gamely moves them
from node to node whenever it does a configuration check.
The deletion occurs because Netview is trying to merge what
it thinks must be two symbols for the same node.

Have you tried telling Netview that the duplicate addresses are
intentional by adding them to the seedfile preceded by the % sign?
This tells netmon to handle them as if they were Cisco HSRP addresses.
Then be sure to discover the nodes by their unique addresses.

Detroit

                      Oliver

                      Kleber/France/Cont        To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      r/IBM@IBMFR               cc:

                                                Subject:  [nv-l] Disappearing
Nodes
                      07/12/2002 09:21

                      AM

All,

Netview 6.0.3, AIX 4.3.3.

I have seen that sometime in the past different people already reported the
same pb. At that time is was considered a bug in earlier versions and an
update to 6.0.3 was recommended. Unfortunately we are using 6.0.3 and are
again facing this issue as described below:

A new node is disocvered by netview (we tested either way, automatic
through seedfile or loadhosts, but it made no difference). The node has an
unique LAN address and about 70 virtual interfaces that it shares (in a
load balancing configuration) with a second node which is already monitored
by netview (in fact those are 2 firewalls running NAT services). An icon is
added to the nv map, but as soon as we run a demandpoll all interfaces
first get added and immediately removed again (because of their existance
in the nv db). But finally trapd.log shows the entry Node deleted and the
whole object disappears from the nv map, including it's unique LAN
interface.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue ?

Oliver

Network Delivery Support Center
Tel : +33 (0) 4 92 11 56 91
mailto:klebero@fr.ibm.com