Re: [nv-l] WEB ENABALED INTERFACE

To: "Murray, Jeffrey S" <MurrayJS@aetna.com>, <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] WEB ENABALED INTERFACE
From: "Dermott" <DermottA@Attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 00:55:05 -0400
Hey Jeff,
Here's where the online Documentation is for CIM 2.1:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/management/CPQ_Netview_User_Guide.pdf

It covers the 2 background process' you mentioned: CPQDIS and CPQTRAPD:
"CPQDIS is a background process started by the OVSTART command. This process
uses data
gathered by the NetView database to redefine all discovered systems that are
running Compaq
Management Agents.
CPQDIS categorizes discovered Compaq Nodes as either server or client systems,
identifies the
associated operating system, and updates the overall status of each Compaq
node. The CPQDIS
process must be running before any of the other processes installed by Compaq
Insight Manager
for Tivoli NetView can start.
CPQDIS references the Discovery section of the CPQCONFIG.DAT file. For more
information
about CPQCONFIG.DAT, see to the "Configuration Files" section of Chapter 2.
CPQTRAPD is the Compaq trap daemon used by Compaq Insight Manager for NetView
and is
used to process all Compaq enterprise traps received....
When the Compaq integration is installed, the TRAPD configuration file
(TRAPD.CONF) is
modified to accept and process all Compaq events as "Log Only". This means that
they are
copied to the NetView Event Log (TRAPD.LOG) but are not displayed in the
NetView Events
window. The CPQTRAPD process translates the raw SNMP events, adding new
information
and recommended actions where appropriate. The translated trap is then
reentered through
TRAPD with a "Log and Display" definition. It is copied to the NetView Event
Log and
displayed on the NetView Events window."

Here's the config file to experiment with:
"Compaq Insight Manager for Tivoli NetView uses the CPQCONFIG.DAT configuration
file to
define discovery and update status intervals for Compaq nodes. This
configuration file is
installed in the $OV_CONF/$LANG/CPQ directory and can be modified to include
custom
settings as required."

There's also a tools directory that will do a health check on CIM:
$OV_INSTALL/TOOLS/CPQ
among other scripts is CPQCHECK, it  checks for:
-  Valid values in the environment variables
-  Presence of all the configuration files required by the Compaq integration
-  Syntax of all the configuration files
-  Authorization of the package
-  Presence of all the registration files required by the Compaq integration

and an error log: /tmp/cimoverror.log

That should be a start....

It looks like you can de-register the CPQDIS daemon, since this will stop the
Compaq
discovery process (and any daemons dependant on it) which is what is updating
the Netview fields, of course, practicing
on a test system is the starting point; sounds like fun, wish I could help out
;-) LOL

Good Luck,
--Dermott