Re: [nv-l] Nvmaputil

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Nvmaputil
From: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:41:36 -0400
 Ben,
I think you need to plan your migration to 7.1.2.
nvmaputil is first available in NetView Version 7.1.2 and on no earlier
release.   It is provided specifically as an enhancement,. one of the
reasons you might want to migrate to 7.1.2 at this time.   There is no
provided command line utility that does what nvmaputil does in earlier
releases.  As a rule, IBM does not provide enhancements on old code, so it
will not be retrofitted. If you want to try nvmaputil on 6.0, you would
have to install 7.1.2 somewhere and ftp it to you 6.0 box yourself or get
some other user to violate the terms of his license agreement and send it
to you.   It has not, and it won't be, officially tested on 6.0 by IBM.

I suggest that you start thinking about your migration now, not just for
nvmaputil, but for other support issues as well.  Not to put too fine a
point on it, you should be aware that 6.0.1 is already out of support.  If
you call IBM Support with a problem, you will probably be asked to install
6.0.3, and possibly some e-fixes on top of that. 6.0.3 is the currently
the only supported release of NetView 6.0.  And while there may yet be a
6.0.4 , it has already been announced that all releases of 6.0 will go out
of support at the end of October 2002 (with the exception of  the
Japanese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese Language kits in Asia) .     So
in about 90 days, it won't matter what level of 6.0 you have, as far as
Support is concerned.  Things could always change between now and then,
but that's the way they stand today.

Sorry if this is the first time you have heard this news.  I have put it
on the list before.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

bducharme@avdl.com
07/29/2002 03:16 PM