Re: [nv-l] trapgend setup

To: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapgend setup
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 03 Jul 2002 15:31:56 -0500
Cc: "NV List (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>, "'jshanks@us.ibm.com'" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
"Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com> writes:
> OK - I admit it; I don't get this trapgend thing. I'm confused about the
> conversion of the "hex error ids". I wrote a little Perl script to convert
> the AIX hex error ids to decimal. Here's the output. AIX error ID on the
> left is converted to the hex on the right. (I attached the label for
> reference.) The hex calculator on Windows agrees with results. However, the
> xnmtrap screen shows an existing OPMSG entry with -1433750975.

The first bit of AA8AB241  is a 1, indicating a negative number if
dealing with signed, 2's complement integers.   The rest are positive
numbers in either signed or unsigned integer coding.

Sounds like whatever translation happeneing in xnmtrap is using signed
arithmetic.   If that's not the right thing to do, this would warrant
a chat with support to log it as a defect.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/