Re: [nv-l] trapgend setup

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapgend setup
From: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 07:58:20 -0400
Ray -
It's not as difficult as it first appears. Take a look at the other entries already defined in trapd.conf for the NetView SubAgent, which is what trapgend is officially called. You will see both negative and positive specific trap ids. These are the result of trapgend using the AIX error number as the specific trap id. Since trapd ids, per SNMP are signed decimal, and error ids in AIX are hex, a translation has to take place. And as everyone else has noted, this will result in some of the decimal numbers being negative. But that is nothing to be concerned about. They are in the proper range for an integer and they provide a unique mapping for the trap. That's all that's needed.

Once the thing is turned into a trap by trapgend, you process it in decimal, just like any other trap. Check the Trap Settings node in any ruleset, and you will see what I mean. It picks up the decimal values you define in trapd.conf, not the hex equivalent.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>

          "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>

          07/03/02 03:58 PM