FW: [nv-l] Netmon initialization - how to speed it up?

To: "Nv-L (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: FW: [nv-l] Netmon initialization - how to speed it up?
From: "Binder, Karin" <karin.binder@nwa.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:32:58 -0500
More good questions - thanks!

We're not using the switch for Netview.  It is using the Ethernet adapters.

The sysadmins tell me that IBM told them they cannot disable Kerberos on the
level of code we're running.  Not sure why.  I'm unaware whether Netview is
using the r commands; I know I'm not in my additional processing (rulesets,
scripts, etc.).

Found the card it set to auto-negotiate, running at 100 full.  Surprised them!
That will be corrected.

Which no parameters are you referring to?

One additional question.  In the V6.0 Installation and Configuration Guide,
Under Tuning Suggestions for AIX Systems, page 171, it says:

"Tivoli recommends that you set transmit and receive buggers for your network
adapter card as large as allowed for your Tivoli NetView server and Tivoli
NetView client systems".

How does one know how large is allowed?  What is taken into account when
determining how high is allowed?  Current parameters are 8192 for transmit and
256 for receive.  Receive appears to be at maximum.  Transmit seems to be set
high, but is not yet at maximum allowed in smit.  Should this be increased?  To
what level?  What other ramifications are there to increasing this?

Again, thanks for all the help!
Karin