FW: [nv-l] What needs Root access

To: "Nv-L (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: FW: [nv-l] What needs Root access
From: "Binder, Karin" <karin.binder@nwa.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:25:54 -0500
You will probably also need /etc/netnmrc

We use sudo here for many of the reasons already cited.  When using sudo, I
have found some circumstances where processes don't appear to parent properly,
or the environment is not set properly.  For example, when nvsecd is stopped,
using 'sudo ovstart' did not source the environment properly, even when
sourcing the environment script in root's .profile.  Perhaps it's an oddity in
our environment.  We use /etc/netnmrc and then all works well.

That's just for Netview itself.  I have found it necessary to have root
authority on other generic commands as well.  A good working relationship with
the sysadmins will go a long way!

Karin