Re: [nv-l] trapd processing very slow

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapd processing very slow
From: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:06:48 -0400
Most likely cause of such a thing is a name resolution problem.  Each trap
contains at least two addresses for trapd to resolve and if your reverse
lookups aren't working or taking a long time to time out, then traps back
up in trapd, and elsewhere.

I'll wager you have a DNS problem of some kind.

 To reduce the negative affects poor DNS operation can have on NetView, the
following parameters in your
"/etc/environment" file are advised:
RES_TIMEOUT=1
RES_RETRY=1
to limit the retries to 1 attempt with a timeout of 1 second.

But I am not sure whether setting them now will get you out of this mess.
You may have to take it all down and lose your queued traps and reboot to
get that to take effect.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Gregory Adams/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS
07/30/2002 12:37 PM