[nv-l] MLM

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] MLM
From: awatthey@mmm.com
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:06:24 +0100
Hi,

Windows NT4 SP2 with MLM 05.01.0005.

I have recently had a problem with one of my remote PCs running the MLM.
It decided to to a PING sweep.  When someone noticed our firewall having
CPU problems it was PINGing 215.63.159.xx and gradually decreasing.  By the
time I looked at it it was on 206.4.0.xx and still decreasing.  In fact it
was issuing a PING every 0.0001 seconds.  Most embarrassing to say the
least.

The PC was rebooted and the problem has not occured since.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this problem or in fact whether the MLM
could do this sort of thing.  There is obviously other software running on
the PC (eg. MRTG) which might have gone 'wrong'.  I doubt an external
attack at this point in time so am trying to eliminate the software
components that we have.

Regards,
Alan.