Re: [nv-l] Set discovered nodes to unmanaged

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Set discovered nodes to unmanaged
From: Gareth Holl <gholl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:29:02 -0400

I'll try answer parts of this but it may not be what you are looking for.
Firstly you can configured sets of devices to be discovered unmanaged in a variety of ways:
1. via OID in the oid_to_type file)
2. devices that are non-snmp can be set to be discovered unmanaged
3. entries in a smartset (whether individual, wildcards, or smartset) can be configured to cause newly discovered devices satisfying the entry to be unmanaged.
By doing one of the above,  you may be able to catch newly discovered ISDN interfaces for an existing device and have them placed on the map as unmanaged - I'm not exactly sure about this but thought you could play around with it.

You mentioned that you exclude the network for those interfaces (via the seedfile). Unfortunately this is probably not going to have the desired affect as you cannot partially discover a device.
Changing a network to unmanaged is also probably not going to have the affect you desire because I think newly discovered interface that belong to a managed device will probably cause the unmanaged network it falls into to be re-managed - again I'm not 100% sure on this (would have to try it for myself and re-visit the rules).

You could try defining an entry in the SNMP Config panel for this device and turn off the Daily Config check and this may prevent many of the interfaces being added each day ??
Or maybe you are eventually going to need a ruleset to filter out the events specific to this device ??

These are the only suggestions I have. Good luck

Gareth Holl
Software Engineer
gholl@us.ibm.com

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Brand
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.

"Stickling, Michael" <michael.stickling@is-4.de>

08/28/2002 07:18 AM