Re: [nv-l] warmStart trap

To: Blane_P_Robertson@reliantenergy.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] warmStart trap
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 17:45:05 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Blane -

I don't know anything about this device, but trapd has no way to store and
re-issue traps so someone is sending it to you.  I would start by tracing
trapd.  First, he has to be running with the "-x" or "hex dump all incoming
packets" option.
You can set that in serversetup if it is not there already.  Then you can
toggle tracing on and off by just entering
"trapd -T" from the command line.  The default trace file is
/usr/OV/log/trapd.trace.  You will see the traps and the IP address they
are being received from.  Don't know that will help, but it may prove to
your network folks that the device has a problem.  Of course, if they are
skeptical of NetView in the first place, you may have to use an iptrace
instead.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                      Blane_P_Robertson@relian

                      tenergy.com                     To:
nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                                                      cc:

                      08/30/02 09:13 AM               Subject:  [nv-l]
warmStart trap

Greeting to all!

I am getting what appears to be a heartbeat warmStart trap from one of our
core routers into NetView (It's a Bay BCN).  I get them every 10 seconds,
but my network folks can't find anything on the router that is posting it.
Can anyone shed some light on it for me...

Please respond directly, since I only receive the digest.

Peace,
Blane Robertson
IT - Nerve Center
Reliant Energy, Inc.
713.207.2002

"I am with you always, I will always be holding your hand; I will guide you
with My counsel, and take you into My glory ... I am the strength of your
heart and your portion forever."  Ps 73:23-26