RE: [nv-l] Netview Redundancy / Failover

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Netview Redundancy / Failover
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:32:18 -0600
The way that I provide redundancy is this (this is manual right now but I am
working on automation):

Two servers - identically configured (except for IP address of course)
always up
All SNMP devices maintain trap receivers to BOTH netview servers
(working on this) Rulesets check to see if the box they are running on is
the "active" box
If they are the active box - execute the automation
If they are not the active box - do not execute the automation
Change the status of the inactive box to active when the inactive box
detects the active box is unavailable.

We do not use a lot of GUI clients. My plan is to use DNS to flop them over
to the "active" NetView box when the need arises.

The "backup" function in NetView never matured to the point of being 100%
useful and now its being removed.

I welcome any feedback on this design as I am just starting to move down
this path.