Re: [nv-l] NetView Client

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView Client
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:12:10 -0500
more info on maps from Leslie

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-9326

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com
----- Forwarded by Stephen Hochstetler/Austin/IBM on 08/22/2002 09:09 AM
-----

                      Leslie Clark

                                               To:      Stephen
Hochstetler/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                      08/21/2002 07:14         cc:

                      PM                       From:    Leslie
Clark/Southfield/IBM@IBMUS
                                               Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView
Client(Document link: Stephen Hochstetler)

This all hinges on how many maps you need, and how many people need to
manipulate them.

The best situation is to have one map, because it is easier to administer.
The analysts would use the Motif interface to run it R/W to make changes,
etc. The users would point their web client at it. If the analyst is not
going
to use the map for a while, he may want to give it back to netviewd. This
is disruptive to the web user, but they are fully informed as to the
disconnect
and they can easily reconnect.

The analyst takes the r/w map away from netviewd by starting it (must be
root) with 'netview -dconsole'. He gives it back by exiting the map and
stop/starting the netviewd daemon. The web client users are prompted
to do the 'File...Open' step again.

If by client you really only mean access to the motif map, you don't need
the Netview Client, you only need X access for the analysts. Either
directly on
the server's graphics console, or telneted in from any Unix box with a nice
console,
or from an Intel platform running emulation - with a nice console. Sun
boxes
make nice X-stations for AIX boxes, for instance. :) I'm even getting
comfortable with eXceed on NT going to AIX.

If multiple analysts want to maintain multiple maps, r/w, then you might
have a use for the Netview Client. The usual reason for using it was to
offload memory usage. That is not as big a problem these days as
it was when it was developed. I used to see a lot of boxes with 256MB
of memory. Now it is either 1GB or 2GB. In extremely large network
environments, it probably still has a place.

Detroit

                      Stephen

                      Hochstetler/Austi        To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      n/IBM@IBMUS              cc:

Client
                      08/21/2002 07:27

                      PM

Julie,

If I get this wrong, hopefully James, Leslie or someone else will
straighten me out.

The use of netviewd is for the purpose of not needing a NetView r/w map to
be open.   So if you have a group that wants a r/w map, then you would
allow that and stop using netviewd.  You cannot do both.

No, you cannot use NT clients on AIX or Solaris servers....there really is
no X based client for NT that can connect to AIX or Solaris NetView
servers.     Nor would it be recommended that you open a r/w map on unix
and export your display back to NT running Exceed.

I do believe that you can run clients on AIX or Solaris and open maps from
AIX or Solaris servers, mixing these.   If this is not true, I guess this
is where I ask James to tell me I am wrong.   My memory is fuzzy, but I
thought this was ok with V7 or higher.