[nv-l] How to convert an SNMP V2 MIB to SNMP V1 format

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] How to convert an SNMP V2 MIB to SNMP V1 format
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:02:49 -0600
Recent discussions on this subject have resulted in many people asking me
about how this is done, so I promised to post what I know about it.
Attached is a procedure for converting SNMP V2 MIBs to SNMP V1 format for
those so inclined to do it.  I have used it and it works.  The source of
the procedure is the excellent book, Understanding SNMP MIBs, by David
Perkins and Evan McGinnis, (Prentice Hall PTR, 1997), which I highly
recommend to anyone wishing to more about how MIBs are constructed and the
differences between SNMP V1 and SNMP V2.

Note that following this procedure is rather labor-intensive.  It
generally takes a couple hours with an editor, unless you are so inclined
to write a script to do it.
Note also that if all you want to do is load the result with NetView's
xnmloadmib loader, you can just comment out everything relating to
NOTIFICATION-TYPE as well as NOTIFICATION GROUP, rather than take the time
to translate it into TRAP-TYPE statements, because xnmloadmib ignores all
TRAP-TYPE statements.  This simplifies the task.   Since mib2trap works
with both NOTIFICATION-TYPE or TRAP-TYPE, you don't need to translate the
MIB to use it to create addtrap scripts.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group