Re: [nv-l] Availability and node up/down trap

To: ozcan@sibnet.com.tr
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Availability and node up/down trap
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:50:34 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
First about e-mail when a certain nodes go down.
This kind of customization is not nearly as easy on NT as it is on UNIX
because of the lack of a good default scripting language on NT.
Basically what you want to do is to configure trapd.conf using the Trap
Settings GUI  (under Tasks from the Start menu or Options on the Event
Browser)
to run a Hidden Command, when a particular trap is received.  For routers,
you would use "Router Down" or "Router Unreachable", for servers and
switches you would more than likely have to use the more generic "Node
Down" and then have your script determine whether the hostname of the down
device is one of the ones that you want.  That's why UNIX is easier. It
comes with shell script built in and on NT all you have by default is bat
files, which are not meant for this job.  Many users find it much easier
to install UNIX tools and scripting package such as PERL, REXX, or TCL to
make the job easier.  In any case for all NetView traps about nodes, the
second varbind of the trap, denoted as "$2" will contain the hostname of
the device the trap is about.  So in the box where it says "Run this
command when the trap is received"  you would put in the full path to your
script  followed by  $2, like this perhaps
        c:\myscript  $2
Then your script would parse out the passed variable and use it in an
nvmail command.     nvmail is discussed in the on-line Programmer's
Reference.
To simply get started with this,  you may want to experiment by just
sending mail on a test basis.  You can do that by identifying an SMTP mail
server and then just issuing the nvmail command from the trap directly,
like this:
nvmail -server <mail_sever_host> -recipient <e-mail address> -subject
"test trap notice" -message " $1 $2 $3 $4 $5"

By including all the variables, $1 thru $5 in quotation marks, all the
major parts of the trap will be present in your e-mail message.
This is not a trivial task  and I wish you luck with it.

Second, with regard to availability reports, that is not the sort of thing
NetView does automatically.  One way you could do them on NT is configure
the trapd daemon to keep a log, /usr/OV/log/trapd.log, then you could
process that log taking note of the up and down times and messages.  There
is also a Tivoli product called the TDS Guides  that is slowly going away,
which you could install and run to get some availability reports.  I am
sure that other users will have a better suggestions on third party
solutions.

Good luck

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

ozcan@sibnet.com.tr
09/04/2002 04:46 AM