[nv-l] Multiple Map Madness

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Multiple Map Madness
From: "Gow Kevin (KTSO 4)" <kevin.gow@csfs.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:49:09 +0200
A question for the gurus:

One of our network groups would like to see a map in NetView
with only the objects that they are resposible for. This consists
mainly of routers and switches, but not all of them. They do not
want to see servers and firewalls. They want full control of the
map and objects to  add, delete and organize the layout of
objects, ie, a RW map.

The other network group, which currently maintain the RW map,
will still keep the default map with all the objects in. This is the
map that support and operations use.

As you can already guess, there would be a vast overlap of objects
between the maps. A ovtopofix will create havoc with the "small"
map. (Deleted objects will suddenly re-appear etc). New servers
will make their presence known. This is not what they would like
to see.

How could this be achieved? Is it possible at all? I hear someone
say: "use scope and the web interface". But we have no clear
naming conventions for IP addressing so I cannot use a location
file. What do the experts think? How could I solve this problem?
One solution would be to have another complete NetView with
a specially tailored seed file. Would that be the only way?

We are currently running 6.0.3 on AIX but 7.1.2 is almost ready
to go.

--
Kevin Gow
CREDIT SUISSE FINANCIAL SERVICES