Re: [nv-l] How do you manage your DMZ and secure zones?

Subject: Re: [nv-l] How do you manage your DMZ and secure zones?
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:10:12 +0100
Kevin,
Have you heard the one about making omelettes without eggs?????

IMHO you CANNOT do active network management without having SNMP access to the
devices
you are managing.  I usually end up getting access through the firewall for
traps from
all nodes in the DMZ to <NetView m/c>udp162 and for <NetView m/c>udp 161 to all
DMZ
nodes, plus responses (I've worked generally with Checkpoint firewall).  You
can live
without ping.  If you can't get this or hardware to setup VPNs, you are
"eggless".

If your folks don't trust Gates software, can you have Linux in your DMZ?  That
would
be my preference for a little NetView in a DMZ.  If you have that, your Linux
NetView
does full monitoring - no firewall issues.  Can you get a web console through
your
firewall?  If so, you can see separate NetView topolgies.  There is no way to
combine
topology databases from different NetViews - the only way one NV GUI sees all
is if
that NetView database discovers all.

On events, you can do a little better, especially if your DMZ NetView is Linux.
 The
DMZ NetView can selectively forward events to your top-level NetView and this
doesn't
have to happen on udp/162 - you can swap to TCP and you can swap port.
NetView, by
default, actually also listens for traps on TCP/162 - will your firewall guys
wear
that?  If you have lots of NVs in lots of DMZs, you may want to get a little
fancier
than simple trap forwarding so that you know which DMZ NV has forwarded the
trap -
depends rather on whether you have a good DNS setup so that it may be obvious...

This leaves the problem of you being blind if your DMZ NetView goes down.  We
built a
solution whereby a DMZ NetView sends heartbeat traps to the top-level NetView
and
top-level NetView then alerts if he thinks he has lost a subsidiary NetView.
Not nice,
but better than nothing.

MLM in the DMZ doesn't really buy you anything if you can't have SNMP access to
it.
You can't configure it and you can't get info back from it.  If your firewall
folk
would allow full SNMP access just to the MLM, you could do status monitoring in
the DMZ
via the MLM and report back to top NetView.  You would have to hand-add all
devices in
the DMZ onto your top-level NetView, but then top-level GUI sees everything.
Customise
your DMZ devices to send traps to MLM (no firewall issues) and then setup MLM to
forward traps to top-NetView - again you could use TCP/162 if you wanted.  You
would
have status glitches on your top-level NetView if anyone tried to do Test->
Ping (in
fact test anything in the DMZ!), but MLM should be able to report status.  If
your MLM
dies, your dead until he's back up.

Anyone got any more eggs???
Cheers,