[nv-l] netview - router fault isolation (RFI) and firewalls - question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] netview - router fault isolation (RFI) and firewalls - question
From: "Donald Mahler" <dmahler@telcordia.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:39:08 -0400

Our Netview NT 6.0.2 seems to do a nice job of suppressing unnecessary
polls beyond a failed router via the RFI feature.   I was wondering if
there is some way to get netview to treat other devices as though they were
routers, and thus eligible for RFI.

for example, we have a subnet in a DMZ beyond a firewall.   then the
firewall fails, netview still sends a flood of polls to the downstream
servers.  I have been accused of 1200/polls per second (I don't believe
this, but the logs are coming....gasp ).

Anyways, in the meantime,  is there a way to get netview to treat this
firewall like a router, suppressing polling beyond it when the firewall is
down?

thanks for any ideas

Don Mahler
SAIC