Re: [nv-l] netview - router fault isolation (RFI) and firewalls - questi

To: "Donald Mahler" <dmahler@telcordia.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] netview - router fault isolation (RFI) and firewalls - question
From: Gareth Holl <gholl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:54:56 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

I believe what you are after is new functionality added to RFI in NetView 7.1.2. It deals with subnets that don't have routers or at least routers that netmon can manage via snmp or even discover. In this case it uses a probalistic algorithm (who's parameter's are user configurable) to work out how many devices (other than routers) it should poll (all would have to be unsuccessful) before it is reasonable to assume that subnet is "unReachable" and thus suppress events and/or stop polling nodes in that "unReachable" network. It sounds like this would be perfect for you in the situation you describe.

Gareth Holl
Staff Software Engineer
gholl@us.ibm.com

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Brand
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.

"Donald Mahler" <dmahler@telcordia.com>

09/24/2002 04:09 PM