Re: [nv-l] MLMs not passing on topology to NetView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLMs not passing on topology to NetView
From: john.j.mackney@accenture.com
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:55:28 +0100
Solved (mostly).

The problem we had was netmon was not detecting the MLMs on our remote
sites event when the correct parameters were placed in the netmon.lrf file.

It would appear that netmon is sensitive about where certain parameters are
positioned in the netmon.lrf file.
Also the serversetup GUI reports an error on the console if the netmon.lrf
file contains parameter it does not recognise - and as a consequence,
resets all fields to their default values. Specifically, serversetup,
configure daemons, configure netmon daemon... does not handle the "-a 50"
parameter. (This parameter tells netmon to create smartsets for MLMs).

What I did, and what I recommend if anyone else wants to use MLMs in
smartsets is to follow this procedure:

1) Start the serversetup,configure,set options for daemons,set options for
topology discovery and database daemons,set options for netmon daemon
2) Set the options you require such as
      User MLM for poling
      MLM seed file
      Use MLM for discovery
      MLM domain SmartSet prefix etc....
3) Apply and save the options - the file netmon.lrf will be modified AND
THE PARAMETERS WILL BE SET IN THE CORRECT ORDER
4) Close serversetup
5) Edit /usr/OV/lrf/netmon.lrf
6) Place the parameter "-a 50" as the final parameter (just before the
ending parameter colon) e.g. ......,-z,-a 50:OVs_WELL_BEHAVED:15:
7) stop and start netmon
      ovstop netmon
      ovstart netmon

We now have a functioning topology map with all the MLM populated.

Thanks to all for their assistance in diagnosing this issue.

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.