Re: [nv-l] Benefits of CiscoWorks2000 in a monitor only environment

To: john.j.mackney@accenture.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Benefits of CiscoWorks2000 in a monitor only environment
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 01 Oct 2002 09:22:19 -0500
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
john.j.mackney@accenture.com writes:
> We do not own the management function of our network. We only passively
> monitor it for quality assurance.
>
> We have a copy of CiscoWorks2000 but are not sure what added value it
> brings in a monitoring only environment.
> Can anyone give me a really brief list of the benefits of integrating
> CiscoWorks2000 in an environment such as ours?

I'm familiar with CiscoWorks Resource Manager Essentials.

CiscoWorks RME is mighty expensive if you only need to get some
quality/performance metrics.  I'd ponder MRTG for such performance
goodies.  You can't beat the price!

RME is nice for configuration backup, pushing out batch config
changes, having a central point of configuration storage,  running
canned queries on a bunch of devices with a few clicks of a mouse,
watching syslog messages from the boxes and cutting alerts based on
regular expression matches, and the like...but if you just need graphs
and history based on some MIB expressions and throughput and such,
MRTG is much better suited, easier to deal with,  and, well, free.
8-)

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.