[nv-l] Back on the authenticationFailure trail again

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Back on the authenticationFailure trail again
From: john.j.mackney@accenture.com
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:56:32 +0100
I am using Solaris 8 and NetView 7.1.2

The more nodes NetView discovers the authenticationFailure traps I receive.
My events application is now totally snowed with authenticationFailure
traps. The format of the traps are generally:

"A authenticationFailure trap received from enterprise cisco with 1
argument:  authAddr=ch-220r-mm-01"
(where ch-220r-mm-01 is the DNS name of my NetView Server)
and the oid sent back in the message is a cisco OID
ENTERPRISE: cisco 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.301

My theory is that NetView and my MLMs are somehow communicating with each
other using invalid community names. However, I am sure that I have
configured the Solaris snmpdx, mibiisa and the NetView midmand and mgragent
ACL files correctly!

I found this statement in the Unix configuration guide

Authentication Failure:
An authentication failure results when the community name, sent by a
manager
system to an agent, is not valid. When an agent receives a community name
that is
not valid, it can send an authentication failure trap to the Tivoli NetView
program,
which logs authentication failure traps in its event log,
/usr/OV/log/ovevent.log.

In the above statement - what is being referred to as the "agent". Is that
MLM or any box with SNMP enabled?

Can anyone help me track down what's happening?

John

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.