[nv-l] DNS in a distributed environment

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] DNS in a distributed environment
From: cfrantse@csc.com
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:52:06 +0100
Hi!

I'm running Netview 7.1.2 on a SUN 220R with Solaris8.

I have quite a bit of events being forwarded to this central machine from
other Netview machines. I have a couple of RFC1918 IP nets being managed by
the edgeservers and all events are being forwarded to this central machine
where all the rule-processing is done. I can't have DNS entries in the
central machine for these RFC1918 IP's since they will collide.

If I just ignore this the DNS timeouts will make everything very slow, and
it's not a very good solutions to rely on timeouts, so I need to solve this
in some way.

I had hoped that since the edgeservers resolve the IP's in their respective
network the central machine wouldn't have to, but apparently it doesn't
work like that :-)

I thought about making a script and use that to send events from the
edgeservers and then put the edgeserver's IP in the agent field and make
sure I can resolve that at my central machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this in an elegant way?

Christian Frantsen
GIS/NES
CSC, Computer Sciences Corporation
Jonkoping, Sweden