Re: [nv-l] SNMP Trap Parameters

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP Trap Parameters
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:49:59 -0500
If I understand you correctly, you want to send to TEC exactly what you
see in trapd.log or in the event window for the Cisco syslog trap.  Is
that correct?

Then what you have to send is what is formatted for this event in
trapd.conf.  If the Event Log Message (viewed with xnmtrap) for this trap,
just says something like, "$3", as is often the case with NetView traps,
then that is what you would send.  But if it is something like "$E $G $S
args $#  $*", then you have more work to do.  There is no way you can get
trap to put that formatted string into a single variable for you -- you
have to build it.  You would build a string of your own using those same
variables and send that.  But I am not certain which of all these is fully
exported into  your perl environment.  Try referencing them in your script
.  If you cannot reference them directly as $E or $*, then you would have
to pass them and reference as positional variables, as  for example
        <full-path>myscript   $E $G $S $#  "$*"
then you can reference them internally as $1, $2, $3, and $4.
Make sure that you enclose in quotes any passed variable containing spaces
or you won't get it all.

Hope this helps.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Pablo Andrés Villegas Florez <pavillegas@epsa.com.co>
11/18/2002 03:21 PM