[nv-l] locale for Solaris

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] locale for Solaris
From: thierry.van-mol@ciev.vd.ch
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:28:33 +0100
Cc: john.j.mackney@accenture.com
I didn't pay enough attention to John reply to one of my post
concerning solaris locale. The problem bit my back recently,
and reading John's mail again I found the solution. However
I think there is something missing in the in the documentation
about this.

My Netview GUI was crashing immediately when started. I did
however set correctly the environment variables:

setenv LANG en_US.ISO8859-1
setenv LC_MESSAGES en_US.ISO8859-1

But this is not enough! I found out that the file  /etc/default/init
was reading:

LC_COLLATE=en_US.ISO8859-15
LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO8859-15
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_MONETARY=en_US.ISO8859-15
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.ISO8859-15
LC_TIME=en_US.ISO8859-15

I modified the file to read:

LC_COLLATE=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_MONETARY=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_TIME=en_US.ISO8859-1

rebooted the box, and then the GUI was not crashing anymore.

I don't understand this really, since the file /etc/default/init
doesn't mention LANG and LC_MESSAGES, which are the only 2 variables
mentionned by the Release Notes.

Many thanks again to John for this information. I had a PMR open
for 2 weeks about this, but Tivoli support was lost on this,

Thierry

On 03.09.2002 11:18:51 john.j.mackney wrote:
>I had the same problem. NetView would not run on the system's console, but
>would run on an x-term.
>
>The important Locale is en_US.ISO8859-1 (as stated in the release notes
for
>NetView 7.1). If it's not set then the GUI will die!
>
>If you start the common desktop environment, you must choose this locale
>from the Options box of the logon screen. To set this locale to be the
>default  place the following lines in the file /etc/default/init
>
>TZ=whatever is your local timezone
>LC_COLLATE=en_US.ISO8849-1
>LC_TYPE=en_US.ISO8849-1
>LC_MESSAGES=en_US.ISO8849-1
>LANG=en_US
>LC_MONETARY=en_US.ISO8849-1
>LC_NUMERIC=en_US.ISO8849-1
>LC_TIME=en_US.ISO8849-1
>
>Good luck
>John
>

>thierry.van-mol@ciev.vd.
>ch                               To:      nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
>cc:
>02/09/2002 14:05                 Subject: [nv-l] Correct locale for
Solaris