[nv-l] How to handle HSRP addresses in DNS.

To: "NV List (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] How to handle HSRP addresses in DNS.
From: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:43:26 -0600
Hello Everyone.

NV 7.1.3 on AIX 4.3.3 ML10.

When I run my weekly database cleanup job, ovtopofix routinely complains of
a router that needs to be deleted. I think I may have discovered the reason
for the problem this morning. NV had 8 router objects on the map for this
single router. In all but one of the objects, the Selection Name of the
router was one of the HSRP virtual IP addresses.

As an experiment, I added all the HSRP IP addresses to the /etc/hosts file
with the same name, such as bldgx-router-hsrp. I then demand polled each of
the 8 objects. All of the duplicate objects were deleted and the single
router with the correct Selection Name remained.

I know it is recommended that each interface be in the DNS. The question is
this how to handle the dozen(s) of HSRP virtual IP addresses on all my
routers?

Thanks,

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car