Re: [nv-l] HSRP and "strange" behavior

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] HSRP and "strange" behavior
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 10:07:16 -0500
Maybe this is one of those cases where the snmp status polling gets in the
way of the HSRP polling. Is the node being polled via snmp? You can tell
by the output of demandpoll, when it shows Admin and Oper status. If it is,
try overriding it in the seedfile with +xx.xx.xx.xx, and putting the
virtual addresses
in the seedfile with %xx.xx.xx.xx to flag them for HSRP polling.  Also list
the
virtual addresses in the seedfile with no directives, to force their
discovery.
It is important that the nodes are discovered by non-virtual intefaces, of
course,
so make sure you include the loopback or some other address for the node
ahead of the virtual interfaces. Delete them thoroughly and rediscover
them.
(ovstop netmon, delete the nodes, ovtopofix -a, and ovstart netmon.)

Detroit

                      Michel.Grossenbac

                      her@coop.ch              To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                                               cc:

                      11/08/2002 05:51         Subject:  [nv-l] HSRP and
"strange" behavior
                      AM

Hi together

AIX 4.3.3 ML 9 NetView 7.1.2

We got six 6509 Switches where always two build a pair. Four of them are
nearly equaly equiped with the boards in it. All have HSRP configured on
the VLANs we use. Now the strange thing is, that two VLANs on one pair
always get marked Critical (means all Interfaces, normal ones + Virtual
Interface) they also dont get discovered properly (no If Description, not
the normal selection name and so on) but if I do an SNMPwalk over those two
switches it seems normal. Now if I ping those Interfaces they get up and in
the next poll cycle from NetView they get critical again, and so on.

I first thought they might be configured different to the other Interfaces
but its not this, actualy they are configured the same (as much as possible
this is). I also added the Virtual IP to the Seed with the % in front. No
change after netmon -y. Im shortly before setting them on unmanaged. Maybe
someone else got an idea about it.

All other HSRP VLANs (more then 30 I think) work properly just not those
two 8(

Any help or hint would be appreciated

thanks

Michel

Coop
Michel Grossenbacher
Systemtechnik/Telekommunikation
Network Management Systems Verantwortlicher
Telefon: +41 61 336 57 68
Telefax: +41 61 336 57 57
michel.grossenbacher@coop.ch
Pikett Telekommunikation: +41 79 219 73 77
http://telekommunikation.hs.coop.ch