Re: [nv-l] Monitoring of DHCP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Monitoring of DHCP
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:03:20 -0500

If you are using Netview on NT, the seedfile lets you define
which address ranges are DHCP. Netview on Unix, however,
can only figure out that a node is DHCP if you also have
dynamic DNS. That is, if it finds a new address that resolves
to a name it already has in the map, and the address it knows
for that node no longer resolves to that name, it will swap out
the interface for the new one.  Most customers that I have
worked with do not use dynamic DNS with their DHCP. So
Netview just thinks it is a down interface, until it is reassigned
then it thinks it is the same one come backup. Not good.
So on Unix, I take measures to avoid discovering nodes
in the DHCP address ranges by adding those ranges
as exclusions in the seedfile. Management by avoidance.
Sorry.

Detroit

                      "Mildeberger,
                      Thorsten"                  To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                      <thorsten.mildeberg        cc:
                      er@eds.com>                Subject:  [nv-l] Monitoring of
DHCP

                      12/03/2002 10:30 AM

Hi all,

I´m more or less pretty new to Netview and now got asked to work on DHCP
monitoring done with Tivoli Netview 7.1.x. Does someone here in the Netview
forum already had the pleasure to do DHCP monitoring using Tivoli Netview
at
all? If so, it would be great to get some help right from the start. Many
thanks in advance.

Are there any documents, web pages available that I can use here?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

best regards,