Re: [nv-l] AIX SNMP Configuration

Subject: Re: [nv-l] AIX SNMP Configuration
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:02:31 +0000
This is for the system to permit access to itself, from itself, using the loopback address, rather than his external name or IP address. You get read / write access with a community name of "system". The 1.17.2 is a "view" parameter that is almost never used but is there to restrict the amount of the MIB that you get access to (you should find a line further down that defines the 1.17.2 view as pretty well everything).

It's only really valid when a box is both an SNMP agent and an SNMP manager - ie if you have NetView or a Mid Level Manager (MLM) on the box. If you do have MLM's around, make sure this is setup and that the ovsnmp.conf used by the MLM is also configured to match it. I believe that an MLM sometimes talks to itself on the loopback address. Not sure whether NetView does, but I would always make sure this line is active on a NetView box and that my NetView ovsnmp.conf matches it.
Cheers,
Jane

Bursik, Scott {PBSG} wrote:

AIX 4.3.3 NetView 6.0.3
This is a little off topic, but I am attempting to tighten the SNMP security on some of our nodes and I have a question about one of the lines in the snmpd.conf file. Can anyone tell me what this line might be for? I understand the format, I just don't know why it is here. Is it some system default? Can I remove it safely? community system 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 readWrite 1.17.2 Thanks!

Scott Bursik
Event Systems Management
Pepsico Business Solutions Group
(972) 334-3757