Re: [nv-l] Copying default map

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Copying default map
From: jeff.ctr.vandenbussche@faa.gov
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:22:02 -0500
----- Forwarded by Jeff CTR Vandenbussche/ACT/CNTR/FAA on 02/04/03 01:21 PM
-----

                      Jeff CTR

                      Vandenbussche            To:      Stephen Hochstetler
<shochste@us.ibm.com>
                                               cc:

                      02/04/03 09:02 AM        Subject: Re: [nv-l] Copying
default map(Document link: Jeff
                                               CTR Vandenbussche)

Stephen,

The only reason I am thinking about multiple maps is that I have a
requirement to change the label of a particular object based on its status.
Since our sites may have more than one(max of 3) map(s) (GUI) open at one
time, only the first one will be RW, therefore only the RW map will reflect
the label change.  The other maps will display the incorrect label.
The only way I can think of to have all 3 of the possible maps to display
the correct label is to have each user have their own separate  RW map.

I have also thought of refreshing the map, but I do not know of a way to
automate this.  James idea of using ovxecho to display a message to
"refresh map" got shot down.

Another idea I had is to have a separate icon for each of the different
labels I need.  If I could then possiby unmanage/hide the icons I don't
need, but I don't know a way of doing this on the fly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Note that everything must be
done via code or command line.  Unfortunately, it cannot include any user
intervention.

Thanks,

Jeff

                      Stephen

                      Hochstetler              To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      <shochste@us.ibm.        cc:

                      com>                     Subject:  Re: [nv-l] Copying
default map

                      02/03/03 06:16 PM

Jeff,

There are a LOT of good reasons to not have multiple maps existing in your
NetView server.   What is the technical reason that these 3 user's must
have R/W maps?  Will they each be running a customized application that
puts unique non-IP things on the R/W map that would not work with R/O maps?
If this is the case, then they would not each be customizing the
information under the IP Internet symbol?

Map customization and database cleanup is much harder to accomplish with 2
maps.   Now you are talking 4 maps.  You should have very good reasons to
do this...to justify the administrative costs down the road.

To create multiple maps, simply open the default map and save-as to other
map names.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
11400 Burnet Road   Austin, TX  78758
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678)       FAX - 512-838-6931

*NOTE*
help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)