Re: [nv-l] Seed file - missing objects in Netview database - etc.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Seed file - missing objects in Netview database - etc.
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:58:01 -0600

Fawad,

> 1. About 233 entries (hosts) that are in the seed file do not show up in
the
> Netview database (ovobjprint). If we do nmdemandpoll, in most cases it
says
> something like "host not found - skipping demand poll" - I thought by
using
> demand poll, I should be putting it into the database. Nslookup and ping
for
> the host checks fine.

nmdemandpoll only works for devices that are already discovered.  Usually a
"ping" of an address will bring that device into NetView..under one
condition.  The network that this device is in must already be on the
NetView map, and must also be in a "managed" status.

Another alternative is using NetView's loadhosts command.  This is a good
way to add hosts when you know exactly which ones you want to add.  You
must also know the subnetmask that for those addresses as that is also
input into loadhosts.

> 2. We plan to eliminate the seed file (only keep a copy around for
> maintenance / disaster recovery). Once a week, do a compare between the
> backup seed file and Netview database contents via a shell script,
entries
> missing in the database will be put in a temporary new seed file and
issue a
> netmon -y to try and populate the database with missing entries. Should
we
> be concerned with something were we to implement this?

also requires some NetView database maintenance.  I would recommend that
you utilize loadhosts from that shell script instead of building a new seed
file each time.   They will load faster and you can then get your new list
of non-discovered nodes that need administrator attention.

> 3. Can I somehow define a boundary for the extent of my network that I
want
> discovered and managed by using seed file? For e.g. can I specify a set
of
> routers that I want the discovery to go until, and not beyond?

One way to do this is to discover the backbone network with NetView
discovery turned on.  Then go through and decide what routers you don't
want.   At that point you could choose to unmanage them.  Or you could set
a "bad" ro community name in NetView for that device and delete it from the
Netview map.   Since NetViwe has a "bad" community name, NetView will never
discover that device as a router again.

Having NetView discovery on and discovering the backbone only is a good
solution for many people.   Then you can add the servers that you want into
your seed file and let netmon discover those, then you are set.   As the
network changes, NetView picks that up through discovery but you don't get
extra things you don't want.

New subnets get discovered as "unmanaged".  As long as you leave them
unmanaged, NetView will not discover the routers beyond that boundary even
if you have community names for those routers.   If you started discovery
from scratch and had discovery turned off..and just the routers you were
interested in your seed file, then you would get what you want.  You have
the option of address ranges in your seed file but be very careful of
putting positive or negative IP ranges into your seed file.   Read the
documentation carefully if you decide to go that route.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
11400 Burnet Road   Austin, TX  78758
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678)       FAX - 512-838-6931