[nv-l] Seed file - missing objects in Netview database - etc.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Seed file - missing objects in Netview database - etc.
From: "Qureshi, Fawad" <Fawad.Qureshi@ssa.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:42:17 -0500
Hello All,

Netview 7.1.3 on AIX 4.3.3

Our seed file has over 5000 entries. Three questions:

1. About 233 entries (hosts) that are in the seed file do not show up in the
Netview database (ovobjprint). If we do nmdemandpoll, in most cases it says
something like "host not found - skipping demand poll" - I thought by using
demand poll, I should be putting it into the database. Nslookup and ping for
the host checks fine.

2. We plan to eliminate the seed file (only keep a copy around for
maintenance / disaster recovery). Once a week, do a compare between the
backup seed file and Netview database contents via a shell script, entries
missing in the database will be put in a temporary new seed file and issue a
netmon -y to try and populate the database with missing entries. Should we
be concerned with something were we to implement this?

3. Can I somehow define a boundary for the extent of my network that I want
discovered and managed by using seed file? For e.g. can I specify a set of
routers that I want the discovery to go until, and not beyond?

Thank you all.

Fawad Qureshi