RE: [nv-l] SNMP Configuration, Proxy Field

To: "'DiIulio, Daniel '" <Daniel.DiIulio@DigitalNet.com>, "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com '" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] SNMP Configuration, Proxy Field
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:47:24 -0500

Dan,
I don't think I have ever used it as intended.
Here's what I use it for.
I have devices in my DMZ that have SNMP enabled on a single interface only. I believe a firewall (ACL and NAT) is used to restrict this.

NetView is configured for SNMP polling instead of ICMP polling for these devices because ping is also restricted. NetView discovers the device and polls them just fine, for a while.

Then, when a device fails, NetView starts searching for other useable interfaces on that device. When the device recovers, NetView has automatically reconfigured itself to use a different, non-snmp enabled interface and the device remains critical because snmp polls fail.

I use the proxy as an override of NetView's "go find another interface" feature.  I configure each interface on a device to point to the single usable interface. This single valid SNMP interface is what I use as the proxy.

In other words, I use the proxy option to force netmon to use a single valid interface, even when it goes off on a fishing trip for other interfaces.

I'm sure this is not what it was originally intended to be used for.

Don Davis