Re: [nv-l] SNMP Configuration, Proxy Field

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP Configuration, Proxy Field
From: "Francois Le Hir" <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:01:26 -0500
Hello all,

This information about the usage of the proxy field in the snmp
configuration of Netview makes me wonder ...
where is it possible to get such a proxy ?
does any of you now if there is some sample code somewhere that would show
how to implement this ?

I would like to have such a proxy to "create" or "simulate" an snmp access
for devices that don't support snmp. That would allow Netview to get an oid
and other useful snmp information from that device by talking to the proxy.
I understand that this has to be customized for the type of device and that
is the reason why I would need some sample code as the device I am thinking
about is very specific.

AIX 4.3.3, Netview 7.1.3, TSA 1.21

Thanks,
Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 205 6695

Dan,

I don't think I have ever used it as intended.
Here's what I use it for.
I have devices in my DMZ that have SNMP enabled on a single interface
only. I believe a firewall (ACL and NAT) is used to restrict this.
NetView is configured for SNMP polling instead of ICMP polling for these
devices because ping is also restricted. NetView discovers the device
and polls them just fine, for a while.
Then, when a device fails, NetView starts searching for other useable
interfaces on that device. When the device recovers, NetView has
automatically reconfigured itself to use a different, non-snmp enabled
interface and the device remains critical because snmp polls fail.
I use the proxy as an override of NetView's "go find another interface"
feature.  I configure each interface on a device to point to the single
usable interface. This single valid SNMP interface is what I use as the
proxy.

In other words, I use the proxy option to force netmon to use a single
valid interface, even when it goes off on a fishing trip for other
interfaces.

I'm sure this is not what it was originally intended to be used for.

Don Davis