Re: [nv-l] OID Cisco FR Subinterface

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] OID Cisco FR Subinterface
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:30:58 -0500

Doesn't the ifAlias mib variable apply on frame relay subinterfaces?
That is at  .1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18
The corresponding interface name is at .1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1
Current  versions of Netview include this field in the object info for
the interfaces it draws, but it is nice to have a mib appl to see it
for interface that Netview does not draw. This field holds the info
that you typed into the configuration for the interface.

I think you cannot get to this mib variable via the mib application
builder, but I added this application manually.  (I made it with the mib
application builder, then edited it to use the variable I wanted and
moved it to /usr/OV/registration/C so it would not get stepped on.)

Application "IfDescr" : "mibappl"
{
           "Created by:",
        "    Tivoli NetView",
        "    SNMP MIB Application Builder",
    }

    ObjectMenu
    {
              "Monitor"   f.menu "P_Monitor";
    }
    MenuBar "Monitor"
    {
              "MIB Values" _V  f.menu "Monitor->MIB Values";
    }
    Menu "Monitor->MIB Values"
    {
              "Interface Descr.." _I  f.action "If.Descr";
    }
    Menu "P_Monitor"
    {
              "MIB Values" _V  f.menu "P_Monitor->MIB Values";
    }
    Menu "P_Monitor->MIB Values"
    {
    }
    Action "If.Descr"
    {
        SelectionRule (isSNMPSupported)||(isSNMPProxied);
        MinSelected 1;
        CallbackArgs "\\
            -commandTitle \"Interface Alias\" \\
            -headingLine 4 \\
            -dataLine 5 \\
            -appendSelectList -appendSelectListToTitle \\
            -cmd /usr/OV/bin/mibtable \\
            -table \".1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1\" \\
            -fields \"ifName=1:17,ifDescr=18:50\" \\
           -node ";
        Command -Shared "${xnmappmon:-/usr/OV/bin/xnmappmon}";
    }
}

Detroit

                      Joe Fernandez
                      <jfernand@kardini        To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                      a.com>                   cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [nv-l] OID Cisco
FR Subinterface
                      03/12/2003 08:56
                      PM

Pablo,
At 10:50 AM 12/03/2003 -0500, Pablo Andrés Villegas Florez wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>Anyone knows what is the OID for "description" of a subinterface when on
the
>router have Frame Relay point-to-point subinterfaces created ?

I don't know of such a MIB variable and I cannot immediately see why it
should exist.

In the Interfaces MIB, ifDescr is defined as a read-only variable set by
the manufacturer to show the manufacturer name, product name and
hardware/software version. So I don't see the usefulness of a MIB variable
that does this for each Frame Relay PVC - it would just duplicate this
information many times.

The Cisco Frame Relay MIB has a variable that has the name of the
subinterface. This too is read-only. Is this what you want or are you
looking for a variable into which you can write your own text?

Joe Fernandez
Kardinia Software
jfernand@kardinia.com

http://www.kardinia.com