RE: [nv-l] HACMP vs. backup managers

To: "'Cowan, Christopher'" <Christopher_Cowan@sra.com>, "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] HACMP vs. backup managers
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:05:10 -0500

Chris,
My knowledge of why not to use the backup manager feature is as follows:
1. There is no sharing of database information.
This means that if the 'primary' NetView discovers new devices, the backup NetView does not discover them until you manually manage those unmanaged backup containers on the backup server and vice versa. The same goes for deletion. Remember, nothing is updated in an unmanaged conatiner.

2. There is no way to allow specific interfaces to remain unmanaged when a failover occurs.
When a failover occurs - all that was unmanaged becomes managed. All of the interfaces that need to remain unmanaged go critical and you could get a paging/email/ticket storm.  That could al$o co$t $omeone a lot of money if you have dial backup modems on your (international) links (BRI interfaces). When they are pinged they dial (for dollars).

3. You did mention the MLM issue.
That's all I can think of right now, but that's enough for me not to want to use it!
I use the multiple server solution and copy databases.

Don Davis