[nv-l] Same IP addresses on different boxes.

To: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Same IP addresses on different boxes.
From: bernard.baudoux@fortisbank.com
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:29:57 +0100
Hello forumers,

Netview 7.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3 ML09

I have received a weird request from our net architecture staff.   They want to
setup routers in different countries with the same subnets (and even same
addresses) on their interfaces.   Those subnets would not be routed in the
entire network, only locally so that on a strict routing point of view that's
no problem.

Our Netview box would have access to a dedicated loopback address on each
router for management purposes.   I know if Netview has access to a given
address on a router, it discovers every other addresses on it.   This is what
they want : Netview must manage ALL interfaces (through SNMP polling) and must
report any failing interface.

My problem is that I wonder how netmon will react with all those duplicate
addresses.   I may not unmanage anything or else netmon will not poll them
anymore.

Anyone any idea on how I can do this ??  Any suggestion most appreciated.

Bernard Baudoux.
4932 Application Networking / Network Management
Telecommunication / 1GA2H
Fortis Banque
Tel : +32 (0)2 565 24 68
Fax : +32 (0)2 228 83 69
bernard.baudoux@fortisbank.com

This email and any attached files are confidential and may be legally
privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication
is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender
immediately and then delete this email.
Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as
incomplete, or contain viruses.
The sender therefore is in no way liable for any errors or omissions in the
content of this message, which may arise as a result of email transmission.
If verification is required, please request a hard copy.

<<application/ms-tnef>>