Re: [nv-l] discovery problems

To: jason.ctr.alburger@faa.gov
Subject: Re: [nv-l] discovery problems
From: Bill Evans <wvevans@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:28:29 -0500
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
You're finding the object.  You can't get it into the database as a fully discovered object.  Possible:
  • You have a negative entry in the seed file blocking its discovery.
  • You know its community name for snmpwalk but NetView doesn't.
Possible debug actions:
  • Try using the NetView MIB Browser to look at the device.  If snmpwalk works and the MIB browser doesn't it's probably a community name problem.
  • Do a manual demand poll on the device; you may need to do loadhosts first to force it into the database as more than a hint.
No guarantee if these will work.  They're just the obvious ones that get overlooked.  I'm also suspicious of your name resolution since you're getting TWO hints for each device; one by name and one by address.  Check out the resolution is good both forward and backward.

Bill Evans, ESM Consultant

jason.ctr.alburger@faa.gov wrote:
Scott,

Most of these I tried already.  I was afraid that old interfaces could be a
problem, so I tried  /usr/OV/bin/ovwdbdmap -d <object number>.  I then
pinged the boxes and got the same results.

"ovtopofix -A" deleted everything about the 2 nodes (these object numbers
are diff. now, due to the nodes being deleted and re-added multiple times)

deleting object 2531 (HINT).
deleting object 2526 (HINT).
2 objects removed from ovwdb (2 hints, 0 old hints, 0 still valid)
deleting object 2527 (INCOMPLETE NODE).
deleting object 2532 (INCOMPLETE NODE).
2 node objects removed from ovwdb.

But, again, the same results after pinging to 2 boxes.

Is there anything else to try?

Thanks in advance!

                      "Barr, Scott"
                      <Scott_Barr@csgsy        To:       Jason CTR Alburger/ACT/CNTR/FAA@FAA, <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                      stems.com>               cc:
                      04/03/2003 11:01
                      AM

Make sure using ovobjprint -s | grep <interface address> that you do not
have old interfaces in the discovery that are preventing the interfaces
from being added properly. You might have to use the unsupported utility
ovwdbdmap to delete the interface objects OR try doing an ovtopofix -A to
clear 'em out.