RE: [nv-l] Traps as IP's Rather Than Names

To: Tom Clarke <tclarke@island.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Traps as IP's Rather Than Names
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:16:22 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

I would bet money that there is a reverse-lookup record in your DNS. Try
'nslookup xx.xx.xx.xx' on the address you think the trap is coming from.
That is the only way this is possible. Many DNS systems require two steps
to make an address resolve in both directions, and a significant portion of
my services hours are spent uncovering messiness in DNS systems.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

                      Tom Clarke

                      <tclarke@island.c        To:       Leslie
Clark/Southfield/IBM@IBMUS
                      om>                      cc:

                                               Subject:  RE: [nv-l] Traps as
IP's Rather Than Names
                      04/16/2003 01:53

                      PM

Thank for the response Leslie. What is wierd is that I renamed a device in
my hosts file, and I've pinged the name to be certain it was renamed. I
even
pinged the old name to make sure it no longer resolved. Everything seemed
be okay. I did a complete network rediscovery and it discovers the correct
name. Events coming from netmon give off the correct name.  It's just when
traps come in from my Cisco devices that the old name shows up in the
events
browser. The source interface that the traps are coming in from on the
Cisco
is set correctly as well. The old name no longer exists anywhere but with
these traps.