[nv-l] NetView AIX5 and CiscoWorks Integration Tool

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] NetView AIX5 and CiscoWorks Integration Tool
From: "Seminara, Sandro" <SSeminara@fnis.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:59:30 -0700

We are installing NetView 7.1.3 on a p630 which requires at least AIX5. We've come to the point where we usually install the CiscoWorks Integration tool.  This tool adds several MIBs, device Icons, etc.  Now this has always worked before because we had AIX 4.3.3, but when we try to run the install tool on AIX5 we get an error because it needs bos.rte.libpthreads 4.3 and we have 5.1.0 installed.  We contacted Cisco TAC and they said that AIX5 is too new for them to support.  Furthermore their work around is to install NetView on Windows.  That's not an option when you have a $69k server sitting in a data center.  They also assured us that they will have a fix by the end of the year.  Has anyone come across this problem?  What did u do? Is there a way I can edit the version information that comes from a lslpp? Can I install the old lpp package while running the new one?  I would only do this temporary and aware that this could cause several issues, but willing to take the chance.  Another approach was that we edited all the install scripts to look for 5.1 and not 4.3 of bos.rte.libpthreads, but several Java Class files which can't be edited also looks for 4.3.  Any ideas?  Anything would help?

Here's a little idea I had tell me what y'all think.  I tar up /usr/OV and un-tar it on the AIX 4.3.3 server.  Run the Cisco Tool, tar up /usr/OV and send it back to the AIX5 server.

Thank you,

Sandro Seminara