Re: [nv-l] NetView AIX5 and CiscoWorks Integration Tool

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView AIX5 and CiscoWorks Integration Tool
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:01:41 -0400

If all you want is to add the bitmaps and fields and such, you can transfer
those manually from your old system. I do this on all AIX V5 systems. You
will need the Cisco files from the following places:
/usr/OV/bitmaps/C (just take everything)
/usr/OV/symbols/C (there are about 3 files)
/usr/OV/fields/C  (one or two files, I think, plus check the snmp_fields
file for extra Cisco agents)
Also a big chunk from /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type and
/usr/OV/conf/C/oid_to_sym

After copying all that stuff into place, do the ovw -fields and stop/start
the daemons and maps. The symbols will all appear and the fields (like
ciscoType) will be applied. The symbols in your smartsets will not be
updated. This is normal. Just delete the symbol for the smartset itsef. It
will reappear and when you open it, it will be repopulated with nodes with
the new symbols.

The traps are all already defined in Netview. Most of the mibs are there,
but are not loaded. The integration utility only loaded the V2 mibs for
you, and you can do that as needed using Netview's various mib loaders.

This does not provide the launch of the device view, but I never had much
use for that anyway. I could rarely get it to work with the contantly
changing versions of java, plugins, AIX, browsers, and ciscoworks even on
supported levels of AIX so I would not expect to be able to hack it into
working on AIX V5.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

                      "Seminara,

                      Sandro"                  To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      <SSeminara@fnis.c        cc:

                      om>                      Subject:  [nv-l] NetView AIX5
and CiscoWorks Integration Tool

                      04/17/2003 11:59

                      AM

We are installing NetView 7.1.3 on a p630 which requires at least AIX5.
We've come to the point where we usually install the CiscoWorks Integration
tool.  This tool adds several MIBs, device Icons, etc.  Now this has always
worked before because we had AIX 4.3.3, but when we try to run the install
tool on AIX5 we get an error because it needs bos.rte.libpthreads 4.3 and
we have 5.1.0 installed.  We contacted Cisco TAC and they said that AIX5 is
too new for them to support.  Furthermore their work around is to install
NetView on Windows.  That's not an option when you have a $69k server
sitting in a data center.  They also assured us that they will have a fix
by the end of the year.  Has anyone come across this problem?  What did u
do? Is there a way I can edit the version information that comes from a
lslpp? Can I install the old lpp package while running the new one?  I
would only do this temporary and aware that this could cause several
issues, but willing to take the chance.  Another approach was that we
edited all the install scripts to look for 5.1 and not 4.3 of
bos.rte.libpthreads, but several Java Class files which can't be edited
also looks for 4.3.  Any ideas?  Anything would help?

Here's a little idea I had tell me what y'all think.  I tar up /usr/OV and
un-tar it on the AIX 4.3.3 server.  Run the Cisco Tool, tar up /usr/OV and
send it back to the AIX5 server.

Thank you,
Sandro Seminara